Quail Action Plan
Bobwhite quail numbers have seriously declined across Virginia, as a result a team of biologists and other scientists created the Virginia Quail Action Plan (VQAP). The VQAP was developed to guide activities with regards to quail restoration efforts. The following are the goals of the Virginia Quail Action Plan:
- Generate new funding mechanisms to support quail restoration.
- Educate the public on the status of quail and other early succession wildlife species.
- Improve quail populations in their primary range in Virginia.
- Establish quail and early succession wildlife focus areas.
- Increase Statewide recreation related to quail.
- Provide quail management demonstration areas.
As part of the VQAP, Private Lands Biologists are available to provide free technical assistance to private landowners across the state. These biologists also assist with the implementation of various financial assistance programs that help offset the cost of habitat management practices on private lands, if eligible.
Some Causes of Bobwhite Quail Population Decline:
Habitat loss and degradation
Fescue and cool season grass dominated landscapes
Mowing of suitable habitat
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Celia Vuocolo by email at email@example.com.